The shape of a diamond is the form it has when viewed from above. A diamond can be any number of shapes depending on the cut and the customer’s taste, with the more popular shapes being round, oval, pear, heart, princess, marquise, emerald, cushion, asscher, and radiant.
Round is by far the most popular diamond shape and the reason it is chosen more than any other shape is because it tends to offer the most amount of sparkle and shimmer. These days however, more buyers also opt for alternative shapes such as princess and radiant with their contemporary angular beauty and of course, heart shaped diamonds for their timeless romantic appeal.
Popular diamond shapes
Some of the most popular diamond shapes available include;
- Round – the most commonly chosen shape, renowned for its superior brilliance and excellent light refraction properties.
- Oval – with an elongated shape, an oval diamond can appear larger than a round diamond of equal carat weight.
- Pear – (also known as tear drop) a cross between a round and a marquise cut, resembling a drop of water with a single point and a rounded end.
- Heart – this is one of the most difficult shapes to cut and also one of the most popular.
- Princess – this cut ranges from perfectly square (the most desirable) to more rectangular variations which decrease in value.
- Marquise – an elongated cut with gracefully pointed ends for dramatic appeal.
- Emerald – this is normally rectangular with bevelled corners and step facets. It has a large table surface and provides an abundance of reflections through its long straight lines.
- Cushion – a more vintage version of a round diamond, cut into a square or rectangle with rounded corners and sides.
- Asscher – this cut has uniquely angled and cropped corners which give it a unique, timeless quality.
- Radiant – this is a hybrid of the round and emerald cuts, with a square, near-square, or rectangular orientation.
We have what you’re looking for at Australian Diamond Brokers
With over 40 years in the industry, Australian Diamond Brokers are the diamond experts you can trust. Our in-house diamond graders are always on hand to advise on colour, carat, clarity, and cut and our award-winning design team can help you create the perfect piece of jewellery to display your chosen stone at its radiant best.
We want you to be totally happy with your buying decision and we endeavour to make your time with us an informative, memorable, and enjoyable occasion. We treat each of our guests with care and respect and when you come in for an obligation-free consultation, you’ll soon know why so many people choose our services above all others.
And for complete peace of mind, you’ll be happy to know you can purchase with confidence from Australian Diamond Brokers. That’s because we only deal in conflict-free diamonds in accordance with the Kimberley Process and all of our diamonds are ethically sourced from trusted suppliers.
Make an obligation-free appointment today
We invite you to call in and see us at our Sydney showroom, which is conveniently located in the heart of the CBD between Chanel and Bvlgari, opposite the MLC Centre at 70 Castlereagh Street.
Our hours of business are from 9am to 5pm on week days or by appointment from 5pm to 7pm on Thursday evenings and 10.30am to 3pm on Saturdays. To make an appointment for a private consultation, you can give us a call any time during business hours on 02 9232 2328.
We look forward to meeting you soon and assisting you in your search for the perfect diamond at Australian Diamond Brokers, Australia’s most trusted jewellers and diamond purveyors.